Thursday, February 27, 2014

Discovering long forgotten BOMs

Digging deep into your stash can be a very revealing experience. After finding box upon box of neatly folded fabric in little clear bags, I began to feel like a hoarder. I know there are several more just-started or half-finished BOMs yet to be discovered in my closet, just like Moda's Green Piece from 2010 maybe and Moda's Selvages from 2008-09 (gasp!) that I recently found!
What is even scarier is finding out I wasn't that great of a sewer back then, even though I felt like I was! It is a humbling experience to look at your previous work with a fresh eyes.

So this week I'm digging in to Green Piece and Selvages, among other BOMs.

Placement is everything -  Selvages blocks. Found out I have about 10 of them done but discovered a mistake in this one! My hour-glass pieces are going the wrong way. So for Monday night's block I did a new block and made it right.


  
Monday, Feb. 24, Block (No. 2 for the day, if anyone is counting, or reading this for that matter...)

*New* Selvages Block.

Tuesday, February 25, Block - Made in class!
El Camino Real Block 2
And Wednesday, February 26, Blocks - The first two blocks in a 168-block project...all the same construction. This is a reproduction fabric Block of the Week from 2013 by Primitive Gatherings. I (as you may have guessed) didn't start any of these until Wednesday night. At least I am consistent... You'd think this would be an easy block...a center square, add four strips of fabric for borders and then add the triangles to the corners. My seam allowance must be off because I was consistenly having a little space between my triangle and the corner of the center square. That's a no-no, so I will work harder to perfect these 6 1/2" blocks. Lord knows I will have plenty of time as I made 164 more.
Each week I received a neat little package of about 6 light and 6 dark fabrics. Before I began my blocks Wednesday night I made sure to starch my fabric.

And here are Wednesday's blocks

My progress on Green Piece was to get my block patterns/fabric organized and my hand embroidery blocks/patterns in a binder so I can quickly get back to that project. Looks like I already have a few blocks done! Even better!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment