Monday, February 24, 2014

Can I do one block a day?

My stash is overflowing. I have BOMs and BOWs that have never seen the light of day. (BOM = Block of the Month, BOW = Block of the Week.)Quilts I've started and put away because I got bored. Quilts I've started and put away to make room for starting another quilt. You get it, right? I'm a starter but not a good finisher. Many a quilt sit unfinished in my quilting room, just waiting for the time when I have more time. "If I just had a week off, oh boy, I'd be able to get a lot of things done like my Civil War Halloween quilt, my Worn & Loved quilt, that Judie Rothermal Civil War 150th Anniversary quilt kit I paid HOW MUCH FOR??"

Well, that week off isn't coming any time soon. What about those 30 minutes at night when you're watching TV? Surely those would add up to a week at some point. Why not take a few minutes, pull out a long-forgotten package and get busy? It's time to stop wasting time and get moving.

Every day I will post a new block I have finished on this journey of OBAD: One Block A Day! And today, we'll start with three blocks! One for Saturday, Sunday and one for Monday. Yes, I already have one done for Monday! A 3-day success streak!

Saturday's block: The block that really got me thinking about doing a OBAD - Block 1 of the El Camino Real BOM at Main Street Quilt Company. I am playing catch-up with this BOM (surprise, lol). I was out of town for our first class so I had to get our first assignment done before our next class, which is this Tuesday. Beautiful block, bright festive colors. El Camino Real uses a border print to frame each block. This is my first time doing this and I am loving the results. You cut the border print in strips and then sub-cut into 10.5" sections by finding the center of that green mdeallion and measuring 5 1/4" each way. I cut enough of these borders to get me through a few months of blocks and need to finish before I forget how!
El Camino Real, Block 1

Sunday's Block: Each week in the mail I get a BOW from Homestead Hearth. It is their Miniatures BOW using fabric from a new Judie Rothermel collection. Love her stuff, so I had to sign up for this one. I'm holding steady on my progress and keeping up. Here's the latest installment. Very easy piecing and the blocks measure 6 1/2".
JR Miniatures, Block 28





Monday's Block: I am very tardy on this BOM. It was the Main Street Quilt Company's BOM for 2013. Kate designed it and I just had to do it. The blocks finish fairly large and are easy to put together. I believe I have about 5 of the blocks done. Here's one more.

MSQC BOM 13 - Block 5

Whew! I'm very excited to begin this project. We'll see how long we can keep it going. I'll try to change things up so we don't get bored. I've got a ton of things I could be working on and finishing. Hopefully these 30 minutes a day (give or take) will add up and turn in to finished projects!

Here's a look at some of the other projects that will be making an appearance soon:

  • Words to Live by: Hmmm. This project started out as a BOW from Primitive Gathering's in Summer '13. Now I am teaching it at MSQC as a BOM. I have several of the blocks done. Need to keep moving on my wool applique and get moving on my HSTs. There's only 670+ that I need to do. 



And, that is only a few of the things we'll be working on!!

I hope you'll enjoy this journey with me! Please feel free to comment and tell me what you think or ask any questions about these blocks or piecing or anything!


2 comments: